Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to properly terminate dead wires?

Posted by measure_twice (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 8:18

What is the proper way to manage or terminate wiring that is no longer live?

We have many junction boxes that are no longer needed, and it would be nice to remove and repair with gypsum board. The unused wiring is nailed to studs.

The boxes were for thermostats for the previous baseboard heat. At the service panel the wires have been pulled out and clipped short so they cannot possibly be re-connected.

In addition, we have lights controlled by a single switch that would be better off with 2-way switches. It all makes for many dead wires.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to properly terminate dead wires?

Wires that aren't connected to anything are just pieces of plastic and metal in your wall. No rules or codes govern that. Clip them short so that they can never be 'accidentally' hooked up again and just leave them.

o

I've seen guys who twist the ends of wires together when abandoning them. That way if some idiot does find the other end and energize it, it will trip the breaker right away.

o

Thank you. Now the house won't have "junction box zits" all over.

I will twist the ends together, tape so they don't untwist or spark against something if said idiot energizes them, and add a sticky label that it is dead.

A label will hopefully alert a reasonable person that the line *should* be dead rather than just cut and live. (But I test any strange line I find)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here