Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help concealing junction box in ceiling

Posted by buckslayer (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 8:08

I'm moving an existing light in my dining room celing about 12" and as you'd guess, the wires won't stretch that far. Pulling new wires isn't really an option here and the ceiling has a second floor above it. I'm looking for ideas on how people have concealed the box cover to make it blend into the ceiling. Oh yeah - any other ideas on how to eliminate the box are welcomed from the pros :~)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help concealing junction box in ceiling

You can take the cover and paint or texture it to match the ceiling.

The other trick is to put a junction box FURTHER away in a less conspicuous spot and pull the wire to the new fixture and remove the old box entirely. If you're pulling parallel to the joists, you probably need only make a hole for the new box and fish all the way down. If you're pulling across the joists, you may have to cut more of the ceiling up, but at least you can replace that finished surface.

o

Thanks - putting the box in a more inconspicuous spot is a good suggestion I hadn't considered yet.

o

You can also put the box behind an access panel at a less conspicuous location.

The panel must use screws to hold it closed.

No nails allowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here