Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traceymac_gw

Spa Jet Pump keeps tripping breaker

traceymac
14 years ago

I have an in-ground pool and spa and the spa jet pump has recently started tripping it's 15 amp circuit breaker. Of course, the obvious answer is that the pump has a problem and needs to be replaced. Before I do that, I wanted to ask for some advice. THis problem came at the same time as a solar PV contractor was doing some work on our house and at the main circuit breaker board. They installed a new circuit for some solar monitoring equipment using the unused "half" of a twin 15 amp breaker (sorry I don't know the real terms, but hopefully you understand what I am describing). The spa jet pump was wired through two 15 amp breaker poles - side by side, but on separate 15 amp breakers. It was after the electrician installed the new circuit using the unused half of one of the breakers that my troubles began. I know it might just be a coincidence (the jet pump motor is very old) but I thought I would ask the smart folks here if there was anything logical to check before I assume a bad pump and replace the pump.

As I understand the setup, my pump is using 2 hot 110 v lines so it is running at 220v. Is there anything that the solar electrician could have done wrong in the panel that would cause the pump to run for a few seconds before tripping the 15 amp breaker (the pump label says it is 11.2 amps). When the pump does run (for a few seconds) it seems to get hot quickly.

THanks in advance for the help.

Comments (3)