Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugaluv40

One Property, Two Houses...100A or 200A service?

Sugaluv40
12 years ago

We have a property with two single family houses on one lot, in the Bay Area, CA. Both houses are 3br/2ba, each about 1400sf.

We have finished renovations on the back house. I am now trying to determine if there is a need to upgrade the existing 100A electrical service (to each house).

As stated above each house currently has 100A service. There are two meters (PGE), the panel for the front house, and a main 100A disconnect for the back house mounted at the front of the property. 150' to the rear of the property is the back house panel, being fed by #2/0 copper wire, trenched in conduit.

Both houses have gas heat, gas water heaters, and gas ranges. Both houses have electric washer, dryer, and oven. There is no AC (and never will be).

Can anyone give their input? I understand this is an uncommon scenario, and my explanation leaves many questions unanswered. But please let me know what you think and where you need more info, and I will do my best to provide it.

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide. For what it is worth, I (obviously) am not doing this work myself. I am working with a licensed electrician, but just trying to source the opinions of the forum to make sure we make the right decisions. Budget is an issue, as this work is not inexpensive, especially in our area.

Comments (7)