Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need educational guidance

Posted by Janiman (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 2:42

I,m new in this industry. I,m an electrician apprentice. I perform assigned tasks under the supervision of an electrician. I,m learning things very slowly. I want to earn a good income and want to become a professional electrician. My question is: What education and training is required to become a professional electrician.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need educational guidance

What municipality are you in?

Check with the local community college. They will often have the courses you need to study for the certification exams.

o

It ALL depends on where you are.
In NYS for instance there are literally NO qualifications or requirements to be an electrician in much of the state.
On the contrary, in MA and CT the requirements are many and you also require continuing education throughout your career.

o

I live in Anaheim CA.

o

Here is a link to the California page on licensure procedure.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/ElectricalTrade.html

o

Think about a union apprenticeship through the IBEW. The classes are free- the only costs incurred are buying books. You'll save thousands of dollars and complete an apprenticeship which is recognized by state and federal government. Some 'trade schools' charge $10k+ for 6 or 12 month course and give a 'certificate' which essentially means nothing to employers. Becoming a journeyman -electrician or other skilled trades- gives the opportunity to earn decent money without going to college and all the associated debt. Good luck with school and stay safe in the field- I'll get off my soapbox now :)

Here's a link from the ca.gov site giving info and wages- looks like a first year apprentice makes $15.82

http://www.dir.ca.gov/databases/das/results_aigdetail.asp?varOccId=448

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange County electrical apprenticeship

o

The IBEW apprenticeship (JATC) also includes (here in Indy at least) an associates degree at a local community college. It is paid for by your employer. As stated before, the only cost to you is books and 5 years of your time. Well worth the investment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here