Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electrical Panel Clearance Question?

Posted by Masterspy (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 2:28

Hello,
I realize the clearance for Electrical Panels has been addressed, but I think I do have a fresh spin on this question. I am well aware of the 30" X 36" x 6.5' rule for clearance. However, in our laundry room we were really hoping to put a cabinet/counter work space in. Is it ok to have a counter underneath the panel if it is not permanent but a rolling cabinet? Does the rule still apply? I mean after all the code is there to ensure proper access and work space when servicing the panel. All one would have to do is roll the counter out of the way. In place you would still have acccess to the panel to get at breakers? Any thoughts? Again, a roll away cabinet nder the panel, not a permanent installation. IS this ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electrical Panel Clearance Question?

While the code doesn't strictly address this, as long as the space could be made accessible without having to rip apart some finished fixtures/surface, you should be OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here