Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closet Lighting

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 0:04

I need a little clarification with regard to closet lighting and the 2008 NEC. It's a walk-in closet with shelving/clothing rods running perpendicular to the door along the walls of the closet. The ideal location for lighting would be above the door.

Looking around the Internet I've seen references for 12" as the closest an incandescent, surface mount, enclosed, fixture can be to the shelf. I also saw a reference for 24" from the clothing rod but it was an municipal website which might have a different interpretation of the code.

Can anyone provide some clarification?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closet Lighting

Well your AHJ is the final determining factor.

The completely closed incandescent luminare must be 12" from the nearest storage space. Now here you are confused probably is that you have to look at the definition of storage space in 410.2 which defines (among other things) as 12" to either side of the rod. Add the 12" from the rod to the 12" from the luminare and you get 24"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here