Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Affix dishwasher power cord to wall?

Posted by thomas_e (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 23:46

I just replaced my built in 24” 10 year old dishwasher with a new one. The old dishwasher was powered through a power cord plugged into a receptacle under the kitchen sink, so I kept that setup.

My question is: Can I, should I, affix the power cord to the wall inside the cabinet? It seems like it would be better if the cord is elevated. I guess, same for the garbage disposal cord which is also plugged into the same receptacle?

Any advice appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Affix dishwasher power cord to wall?

You can if you really want to, though there is no compelling reason to do so in most cases. You can find a variety of stick on cable holders at the home center.

o

I was thinking of something like this:

o

Yep, those are are one of the ones I was thinking about as well. There's also some stick on things that hold wire ties or even 3M/Command makes some cord holders that don't even require making a hole.

o

There is usually plenty of room under the DW.

Just shove the excess cord there.

o

The NEC limits the permissible length of such cords. so the excess length will be minimal.

o

"The NEC limits the permissible length of such cords. so the excess length will be minimal."

The length is long enough to allow the appliance to be pulled out from under the counter for servicing while still connected to power.
When it is in its regular position there is a bunch of excess cord hanging around.
Just shove it in the DW compartment on the floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here