Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any legal way to reuse these abandoned circuits?

Posted by doc8404 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 23:27

I have two currently abandoned in place circuits which are capped off and terminated in separate work boxes:

a) a 10/3 non-metalic sheathed NM-B 220V cable protected by a 30A CB which lands in the main panel,

and

b) a cable marked "E32071 3CDRS AWG6 compact AL Triple Alloy AA8176 Type SE cable Style U type XHHW 2 CDRS 600V" protected by a 30A CB which lands in a sub-panel.

Is there any way I can use either of these cables to split the hot legs and turn them into 20A 110V circuits? (Assuming I use the proper CBs in the panels).

I assume I cannot power a new sub-panel from the SE cable (and run my 20A circuits from the new sub) because it originates in a sub-panel and it is a 3 wire cable.

The 10/3 has no ground so, I think I am pretty limited here too. Right?

What I am hoping to accomplish is create a third 20A kitchen circuit (already have 2) to hook up to receptacles in a new island.

Any hope for me or do I have to put in a 12/2 homerun to the island from either the main panel or existing sub?

Alternatively, can I tie in the island circuit to an existing lighting circuit since I already have my two dedicated small appliance kitchen circuits in place?

Hmmmm - now that I think about it - I could tie the new island receptacles into one of the existing kitchen appliance circuits and just call it a day, couldn't I?

TIA
Doc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any legal way to reuse these abandoned circuits?

If you don't have three conductors + ground, there's no way to turn this into a multi wire branch circuit and and split off two 120V ones.

You could put a single pole 20A breaker and turn them into 120V 20A circuits.

Nothing prevents you from running subpanels off subpanels but you do need separate grounds and neutrals.

o
RE: Any legal way to reuse these abandoned circuits?

The NM-B should be marked '10/3 with gnd' and could then be used to power a sub-panel since it has 4 wires (in NM the ground is not 'counted').

If the SE cable has three insulated conductors AND a separate ground conductor it would be fine.

The markings on the individual conductors are not as important here as the markings on the overall jacket.

Southwire calls the type of SE you need suitable for 3-phase service (3 insulated conductors plus a bare neutral for 3-phase use)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here