Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Does this sound right?

Posted by plumeriavine_2010 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 22:52

I don't know if I can explain this, but when my GC's helpers did the electrical runs for backsplash outlets, they did so by:

using prewired spiral wrap electrical flex conduit

studs were notched on the perimeter edge

the spiral wrap was put into the notches

then steel straps were used to anchor the spiral wrap in place within the notches

Then it was mudded.

Does this sound OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Does this sound right?

It's not my preferred method, but it is permitted.
I would rather have the studs drilled through the center and the cable threaded through. When the studs are notched like yours, a steel plate is required on the edge to keep a drywallers nail from piercing the cable.
Notching is faster but weakens the stud, probably not a concern in that location.

RE: Does this sound right?

Randy is right. There needs to be a 1/16" steel plate here (flex isn't one of the listed exemptions). The NEC defers to your local building codes as to whether you can hack away at framing in this manner.

RE: Does this sound right?

I struggle with possible synonyms - - is "flex" the same as what my husband identified as "spiral wrap"?
So hard conduit (steel plate 1/16") is needed when studs are notched?

I want to put in a nail-in-place backsplash (copper tiles) eventually, so that would be very problematic to have something other than hard conduit running in the surface of the wall.

RE: Does this sound right?

One of the specifically listed metal conduits (rigid, interediate, EMT) is required if you don't COVER it with a plate. Armored cable of any variety isn't going to cut it. The plates are common items, you can even find them at Home Depot.

Plate Covers

Just to be totally clear - thanks in advance for your patience with me - - the entire horizontal length of the "flex" in the wall needs to be covered with a plate (or actually many sections of plate?), not just at the studs. They did put little brackets over the flex at the studs, but not over the entire length.

RE: Does this sound right?

No, when you run wire (or plumbing for that matter) through a stud, you should put a metal plate over it so that you do not later penetrate the wire (or water pipe) with a nail or screw. The entire length is not covered, just where it passes through a stud. So the plate is (usually) the width of the stud.

RE: Does this sound right?

Thanks - I feel better about it now. You guys are awesome!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here