Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED Lights glow dimly when plugged in

Posted by schatham (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 21:57

I have a couple strings of LED lights (I think they are the C7 or C9 type globes on them) that I had used on a timer for a couple hours each evening that were on a timer. Over the last couple months, I noticed that the light output was getting dimmer and dimmer, until finally they appeared to be out.

However, when I was able to take them down & start going through the string, things looked like they were okay. I plugged the string into an outlet & found that they were not out - just very very dim. I had to be in pitch dark to see them glow to any degree.

The fuses in the plug appeared to be intact & I know I'm getting good, grounded AC power out of the outlet I am plugging them in to. Since the fuses appear to be intact, I'm at a loss as to what the actual issue is. Both strings of lights seem to be similarly affected. I have ruled out that the timer is the issue, since it's no longer in the equation. I am plugging these lights straight into a grounded outlet that gives me strong 116-120 volts out of it.

Do the LED lights in these strings just "give out" after so many hours? I was hoping that, as expensive as these strings can be, that they'd be a little more hearty.

Is there a way to determine what is going bad with these lights? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED Lights glow dimly when plugged in

You likely have one or more defective LED's in the string. If these are the replaceable type you can try to find replacements and replace each one, one at a time til you happen upon the burned out one(s). It's tedious but usually works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here