Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swiss Cheese Studs?

Posted by plumeriavine (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 21:23

Trying not to overstay my welcome here. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Quick recap - - the walls were closed up before electrical was seen by the inspectors - - permits were pulled but inspections were not called after maybe the first week of the job.

Remembering what we saw - - I posted already about the stud notching - - that was probably OK - - my next question - - these were existing studs and I am pretty sure they had already been penetrated through the centers for conduit in the past.

Can studs be both notched and hollowed through, both tunneling methods, or does that overly weaken the studs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swiss Cheese Studs?

Well, it depends. If it is a supporting wall, then you might have issues. Otherwise it's not that big a deal.

o

I am pretty sure that it is just a partition wall, but cabinets full of heavy dishes hang on it above the tunnelling.

o

The loss of rigidity due to the studs being notched isn't going to be any worse than the general unworkmanlike peice of crap tiling job done by your contractor.

All that grout's going to likely crack anyhow.

o

The concern with removing too much wood from the structure is that it becomes too weak to support your house. Cabinets are incredibly light compared to a second story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here