Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I connect Verizon NID to my phone line wires

Posted by malidadi (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 21:14

I bought a dual phone jack to connect my phone lines to but when I attach the phone wires to the new jack and then runs a phone cord from NID box to the newely installed jack does not work. I am wondering whether i need to connec the CAT 5 cables from the house directly to the NID box outside, but I do not see anywhere to attach the CAT 5 wires inside the NID box all I see there is a modular hook up. Verizon employee had said all i needed was to plug in the phone wire directly on the NID box but the wire is not long enough to reach my computer. THis is a dry loop line for my DSL I do not have any previous phone line intallations, but I do have jacks inside the house which are not connect to any type of phone service. the phone jack cable wires are hanging in the basement. SO in other words I am trying to figure out how to connect those hanging wires from the basement to the NID box installed by verizon a couple days ago.

THank you for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I connect Verizon NID to my phone line wires

If the NID box is the kind with jacks for the customer equipment, then your best bet is to run a phone line to your own jack next to the NID and then use a short jumper cable between the NID and your jack.

If the NID box is a multiline one like they use around here, there should be a customer side that opens with just a screw driver (rather than the thinwall socket used for the company equipment) that has screws that then connect to the little jumpers in the box.

o

I was very confused by the original message. If I understand correctly, it's basically a demarcation box outside? If so, the modular jack outside is just for a test hookup, it's not designed for consumer equipment (I think when connected it defeats the other connections)

More information is required. A line from the box to the computer??? DSL?? Are you trying to set up dsl, a phone line or what?

One thing I do know, it's common practice for digital phones (say the phone over cable comcast/roadrunner type of thing) to 'reverse feed' phone line to existing jacks - they ensure the phone line is disconnected at the conventional demarcation box, then a phone cable/RJ-11 is run from the cable modem to the nearest phone jack - it can be a double adapter - which then 'reverse feeds' the phone line to all other phone jacks connected to it.

o

"If so, the modular jack outside is just for a test hookup, it's not designed for consumer equipment (I think when connected it defeats the other connections)"

Many of the NID boxes have a regular jack for hooking up to the screw terminal strip for premises wiring.

A short cable is plugged in and connected to the adjacent strip.
The premises wiring lands on the screw strip.

The TELCO responsibility ends at the jack.

o

I didn't know the modular was intended for use like that, the demarc boxes I've seen refer to it as a test jack - and the telus guy who replaced me told me about it. Could well be different here.

Same deal in Canada, telco responsibility ends at the demark box, I guess unless you engage the telco to wire the house.

I kind of like that, since it gives us more flexibility. When it was BCtel, a govt body, it was somewhat less flexible.

I wonder if the OP sorted it out. I hate that, when they never come back.

o

:Same deal in Canada, telco responsibility ends at the demark box..."

In the US they must supply it to a jack or connection that provides the service.

By using a jack in the NID a butt set is easily connected to show that service is available.
How you hook up everything past that point is not the TELCO's problem.
They delivered service.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here