Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring Subpanel

Posted by kst43368 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 20:41

New member. First post. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I plan to remodel my kitchen this summer and need to add a subpanel to my existing 100 amp main lug panel to add the appliances I'd like to get. The subpanel would be about 40' from the main panel. I would need to run a cooktop (likely induction) and a combination wall oven/microwave from the subpanel, at a minimum. I may also add my refrigerator (currently running on one of my kitchen's small appliance circuits) and a 20 amp circuit for a new basement bathroom eventually (the last two are not must haves). I was thinking of using a 60 amp subpanel, ideally with at least 8 spaces.

What kind of wire do I need to feed the subpanel? Can I use 8/3 with a ground? Or do I need to use 6/3 with a ground?

Does a 60 amp subpanel sound sufficient for this load?

Thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring Subpanel

You'd need to look at the specifications of the individual appliances. Induction cooktops are typically power hogs in their won right.

60A requiers #6.

o

This is probably not the answer you want, but call an electrician. You are asking about a fair bit of work, which may require a service upgrade. You should have a load calculation done to determine how much demand is on your existing service- if you add a subpanel, you could trip the main due to overloading. BTW, 60A may be too small for the load you want to connect. Evaluate the existing service first to avoid potential problems, then load calc for your new work. Get several estimates- best value may not equal cheapest. Good luck!

Mike

o

As you are remodeling, you should bring your kitchen up to current code.
Including:
Two 20 amp, GFCI protected, small appliance circuits.
Separate circuits for appliances such as refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, etc.
I would also put all kitchen circuits in the subpanel rather than leave some 40 feet away in the main.

o

That is a mischaracterization of the requirements.
The code requires two (at least) two small appliance circuits serving all the receptacles in the kitchen and NO OTHER OUTLETS. Only the countertop receptacles are required to be GFCI protected. There is no code mandate for separate circuits for individual appliances unless their installation instruction requires it (though it's not a bad idea).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here