Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electrical switch issue

Posted by Roy21 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 20:15

Was replacing some switches and noticed something odd. If I attach the gound wire to the corresponding screw on the switch and touch the probe of my volt meter to the metal face of switch (NOT ANY OF THE SCREWS)and then touch the other probe to a ground (in this case a metal transition strip over concrete floor), I read 50 volts. Without the ground wire attached to switch,only 4-5 volt reading. Seems something has to be wrong.This occurs on all the switches on THIS CIRCUIT but not elsewhere. All switches wired correctly and everything good in Breaker Box (ground & neutral to bus bar,hot to breaker,every thing tight)

Would appreciate any feed back. Thank you,Roy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electrical switch issue

No doubt the voltmeter is digital. When an energized conductor with AC power is near another conductor, a voltage is induced in one conductor by the other. But the amperage is so minute as to be impossible to measure with ordinary instruments. With a dial type voltmeter that depends on a current to operate the meter movement, the current is far too small to even make the needle move. Or to light a test light. I think you are reading "phantom" voltage.

o
Voltage

It should be added that this is the case with the voltages encountered in house wiring. Voltages that are much higher, in the thousands of volts, are different animal.

o

The phantom voltage that busdriver is referring to is only only being measured because the "ground" wire that you are connecting/disconnecting from the switch is NOT electrically connected at the other end to the service ground. It SHOULD be, but it is not. It is only "floating" - and running with the hot wire of the lighting circuit causes it to show a phantom voltage when measured against something actually grounded.

You need to have this problem fixed ASAP.

o

OK,checked connection at service panel for this circuit. Ground wire twisted tight with all ground wires for 120 circuits & firmly attached to bus bar. Do not think the problem is there. Any one have any other ideas?

o

The ground could be detached at any of the points of connection between the outlet in question and the panel. You'll need to look in each junction box for the circuit until you find the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here