Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casiocarcharger

3 way wiring

casiocarcharger
11 years ago

Hi!
I have 2 three-way wire switches operating a single light bulb. I recently replaced both switches with three-way Decora switches and now the switches no longer operate properly.

I understand how three-way switches work (from internet research) and I can't figure out why my switches aren't working.

From a purely mathematical perspective, there are a total of 36 possible permutations of how my two switches can be wired. I've attempted to draw this in my picture below:

1. Each box represents a possible connection scenario.

2. The first line in each box represents one three-way switch
R=Red
B=Blue
O=Orange

3. The second line in each box represents the other three-way switch

4. The third line in each box represents the result of the connection.

"1" =
> light can be turned on/off by lower switch if upper switch is off
> light can be turned on/off by upper switch if lower switch is off
> light can NOT be turned on/off by lower switch if upper switch is on
> light can NOT be turned on/off by upper switch if lower switch is on

"2" = light is on regardless of switch on/off position

So far, I've only had time to test out 7 of the possible 36 permutations. (actually, I believe I've gone through all permutations once before, but didn't record them one-by-one on paper)

Admittedly this brute force approach is probably funny to those of you with electrical expertise. I am just looking to save some money before hiring an electrician so please help with some real advice (better yet, a solution) instead of typical internet junk posts.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

p.s. I suspect there is an additional issue in play here. The house has a security system. When I shut off the main switch, the house has a weird high-pitched noise (not sure where it originates from). Turning the three-way switch on/off affects this noise.

Comments (3)