Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marial1214

Bathroom Light Went Poof after installation

marial1214
11 years ago

Hi, I came over from the gardening forum. We are updating our house slowly through the years. Right now, we are doing the master bath.

My husband took down the 2 racetrack lights (1980's makeup lights) on either side of bathroom mirror and put updated ones up. He read the instructions, then proceeded. My husband has an MBA, he is an intelligent person but this is the first electric job he has done, we usually pay out of our teeth to get work like this done.

He shut down the breakers and put the base onto wall then twined the wires and put the plastic caps on. Then put on face plate and I screwed in the bulbs, 4 60 watt bulbs, the max the fixture can take, as indicated on box,

The left one went up, then the right one. We fired up the breaker and we had light. My husband was so proud of himself for 10 minutes then POOF, we turned around to look where the poof noise came from and the right lighting fixture had shut off. The left one was still lit. The breaker was NOT thrown, he went and shut down the breaker manually and took off the face plate to look inside at wires and sure enough 1 was burnt and copper was melted onto the plastic nut and oh god.

What did he do wrong? Can someone tell us what he might have done wrong and what do we do differently tomorrow to try to get it back up?

Comments (7)