Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perel_gw

Does anyone make a 2-gang shallow old-work box?

perel
16 years ago

My exterior walls are masonry with furring strips - regular boxes won't fit. I need the less-than-1.5"-deep "shallow" boxes, and yes - I am aware of the box fill limitations this imposes.

For single-gang devices, Carlon has a nifty one-gang shallow old work box that has a side piece that slips into the wall, providing full box volume with a shallow profile and single-gang hole in the wall. Just wish it was part of their "Super Blue" line instead of being the flimsy blue plastic..

The only 2-gang shallow boxes I've been able to find are new work, and I can't find ANY 3+ gang shallow boxes. Does someone make a gangable metal shallow box I could use for this?

For that matter, is a 4-gang old work box even a good idea? Or do I really need to open the whole wall up at that point?

Comments (15)

• arichard21
    16 years ago

"could furring strips be added and covered by new drywall to create some wall depth?"

I actually had to do this in a bedroom in my house where they built the interior walls with the 2x4 on their side, and 2" is NOT enough room for a standard box. In hindsight, I should have built the wall out with 2x2 or 2x4, but I was in a pinch and built it out by adding 2 more furring strips on top of the 1 already there making my final thickness 4 1/4 giving me plenty of room. I probably could have gone with only 2 total, but i went with 3 just to be safe.

Perel, In a perfect world you should frame it in with 2x4. If not, then add 1 or 2 more furring strips.

• pete_p_ny
    16 years ago

Funny, I had the same issue, in trying to maximize my basement space, I used 2x4s on their side, I got so frustrated with the electric box issues, I just ripped them back out, and installed a conventional wall. And in the end, you do not notice the lost space anyways, and I have a better wall in the end.

• perel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Either reframing the wall or adding more furring strips would require tearing down all the plaster and putting up new drywall. That's not happening. To clarify - this isn't one wall in particular, this is how the *entire house* is constructed. ALL exterior walls are, exterior to interior, face brick, concrete block, furring strip, gypsum lath, plaster, more plaster, paint.

BTW - finally found one! Turns out Raco makes a gangable 1.5" deep metal single device box. However, the only way to meet box fill requirements is to have additional gangs unused (blank faceplate) just to get enough cubic inches, so it looks like I'll be better off relocating these devices to an interior wall.

The Carlon B117RSW is *genius*. It's the only way I *can* meet the box fill requirements for the required receptacles in these exterior walls..

Here is a link that might be useful: RACO 400 box

• arichard21
    16 years ago

I have always been a fan of carlon stuff. They make an adjustable box that has a screw in it to adjust the depth of the box. AWESOME! Pricey, but great.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

Nothing in any code prohibits boxes from protruding from the wall. To cover an extra 1/4" of depth, a jumbo wall plate can be cut to fit around the box to cover that much space and then a regular plate is used to complete the "sandwich". The box also could be recessed into the concrete block, as I suggested in my first post.

Here is a link that might be useful: P&S

• perel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Followup. It turns out that this is REALLY common.. the solution is a 2-gang box and a single-gang mud ring. Once I found that out installation was easy.

• fotostat
    15 years ago

Could you clarify your solution please, I'm not following.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Use a 1.25 inch deep 4 and 11/16 square box with a plaster ring.

There is also nothing stopping you from cutting into the concrete block top get clearance for the boxes.

• fotostat
    15 years ago

I'm not following how a single gang mud ring is helping him get a 2 gang opening.

• fotostat
    15 years ago

Let me clarify what I am curious about. Perel needs to find a way to get a 2 gang opening in a shallow box with enough room so he doesn't go over the box fill. The solution that he found was to use a 2 gang box and single gang mud ring. I'm not following how that works...

• perel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah. I see the confusion; my bad. The Carlon single-gang old work boxes ended up being too deep too, so I just made these boxes single gang instead of double. That's where the 2-gang box / 1-gang mud ring came from.

I suppose if that location had ended up needing 2 gangs on the wall, I could have just used a larger box underneath and a 2-gang mud ring.. same principle. Still, in the end I decided that was more trouble than it was worth.

• Askgary
    12 years ago

Easy solution. Take 2 of the Carlon shallow depth old-work boxes. One will be your "right" and one will be your "left." Where the 2 boxes will meet, drill out 1" holes. The conductors from one side will be fed through the hole. When you install the duplex outlets, use the adjusting slot to move them toward the middle so your cover plate will fit properly.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I'm not following how a single gang mud ring is helping him get a 2 gang opening."

The use a 2 gang mud ring.

You may have to go to an electrical wholesaler.

• petey_racer
    12 years ago

Brick, you got caught up in the "dig up an ancient thread" syndrome. Askgary replied to this thread as if it were posted yesterday.

Askgary, no matter how hard you try that will not work. You'll never get the two devices close enough to use a two gang plate. Besides, the way you describe is quite non-code-compliant. You'd have to do more to make it complaint, and even then it would still be nearly impossible to get a plate to fit and would still be hackery.