Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extending a circuit

Posted by sirhuntsalot (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 17:47

I want to add a couple of pendant lights and a new switch. I have an existing outlet thats on the end of a run. I will be using 12/2. Sorry about the bad drawing but maybe you can tell what I'm asking. Thanks.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4812/wiring.png

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extending a circuit

Run the ground and neutral to the switch box and then to the lights and you'll be good to go. I assume you intended that rather than just running a single conductor from the outlet through the switch box to the lights.

o

So you are you saying more like this....

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9454/wiring2.png

o

Still not quite right, but I believe it's just your artwork that's failing.

Run the 12/2 (call it A) from the receptacle to the switch box (it gets connected to the black/white/bare wires in the wire feeding the receptacle).
Run 12/2 (call it B) to the first light.

Connect A-Black to one side of the switch.
Connect B-Black to the other side of the switch.
Connect A-White to B-White (no connection to switch unless it specifically requires it ... certain fancy dimmer/home automation require it).
Connect A-bare to B-bare and to the switch ground terminal and the box if it is metal.

o

I just dont follow you. I think I need to see it in a drawing. Thanks for the help.

o

I think you got it, but the drawing is just a little confusing.

1 cable runs from the outlet to the switch with live, neutral, ground. The live goes through the switch and all 3 continue on to the first light and then the second light.

You'll need 3 lengths of cable - 1 from the outlet to the switch. 1 from the switch to the first light. 1 from the first light to the second light.

o

OK...but the other poster said I need to also run the neutral to the switch. That had me confused.

o

The neutral would go to the box that the switch is in. If you had just a normal switch, you would join the incoming neutral to the one going to the first light. It would just be wire nutted together in the back of the box. If you have a fancy, electronic switch, it might require a neutral be connected to it, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are planning.

o

OK...but the other poster said I need to also run the neutral to the switch. That had me confused.

He actually said Switch BOX. Wires run together because they are in a cable and the other poster thought you were trying to run separate wires.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here