Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hiding cord safely

Posted by DBCnyc (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 17:44

I need to find a way to get electricity to a seating area that floats in the middle of a room and would very much like to avoid installing floor outlets.

I know it's never recommended to run a cord under a rug--particularly where it could be walked over--to avoid overheating and damage from friction. Can one, however, safely run a simple lighting cord through a low profile conduit under a rug? For example, this conduit: http://cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/economical.htm#8781 Or does this not provide enough protection? (Or will rug overtop cause too much unwanted insulation? BTW, it's only for 2 75-watt bulbs, not heavy-duty equipment of any kind).

If this isn't an option, any other thoughts? (Ceiling lights not an option).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hiding cord safely

The safest and most attractive way to solve your problem is to install a floor receptacle where you need the power.

For a temporary installation, what you're looking for is Corduct (or something similar). You tuck the cord into it and lay or stick it on the floor.

If I understand correctly, Corduct is supposed to be laid OVER the carpet, not under it. I don't know of a product that's approved for protecting a cord under a carpet.

The link below is for illustration, not an endorsement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corduct

o

DBCnyc-
I'd definitely try to go with floor receptacles and not ever have to worry about it afterwards. How difficult is it to get access to the floor from the underside?

o

Something in this line might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here