Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
voltage loss

Posted by george2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 16:46

iam only getting 80v on one leg of a 220v circuit, it is direct burial al used to feed a pump and out building. i am suspecting i will have to replace the cable but i would like to know what might have caused this or is there a possible fix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: voltage loss

What is the line-to-line voltage?

80 volts, but to what? Are you using a real grounding conductor for this measurement?

o

What are you using to make the measurement?

Digital meters have very high input impedance, and can indicate 80 V from an open conductor that runs in a cable by coupling from another conductor in the cable.

o

Occasionally I come across what may be this same problem. Check the voltage coming off the breaker. Check each line to ground and then to each other. It may be a bad breaker.

Hope this helps.

o

Sorry,
You will have to either turn the other breaker off while checking each line to ground, or undo the the termination points of the wire at the pump. What can happen is the voltage from one leg will go through the pump and return on the other leg with a drop, if the other leg is not getting voltage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here