Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to wire two lights and an outlet on the same circuit

Posted by tactics (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 16:32

Hi folks,

I've spent hours trying to rewire my bathroom to no avail. Here's what I have: I have two lights, a switch, a GFCI outlet, and a single power source. I want the GFCI to be powered at all times, and the two lights to be controlled with the switch. I've attached a diagram showing all the components, and numbered the wires in the event that the answer is as simple as "connect 2 and 5, 3 and 1", etc. I've intentionally left all the ground wires out of the illustration just for simplicity. Any help is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to wire two lights and an outlet on the same circuit

Connect the neutrals: 2, 4, 6, 9 together.

Connect 1, 5, and 7 together

Connect 10, 3, and 8 together.

That is the best. It's typically not legal under the later codes since you don't provide a neutral at the switch (but you don't appear to have enough wires to do it right).

o

Is the bathroom all open? Can you have more wires than you showed in your picture.
This is one way to wire it up. There are tons of different ways.
The best way would also involve knowing the actual physical location of the various components so that the minimal length of wire is used.

Note: At the GFCI, you'd probably want to pigtail the wires together as opposed to feeding through the GFCI which would put the switch/lights on the load side. If the GFCI trips, you probably don't want the lights to go out too.

o

Introducing confusion is not helpful.Nothing proposed in the first two posts has the GFCI protecting anything other than the receptacles within it.

o

Sorry ... I didn't mean to confuse things. I just realised that after I drew the picture that it might look like I intended the GFCI to feed the switch, which isn't what I'd meant. So I was trying to clear up any confusion that my picture might have presented, without going through the bother of re-drawing it.

And I didn't mean to infer that there was anything wrong with ron's reply. I just didn't necessarily interpret the OP's post as meaning that all of the wires were already run. If they haven't already been run, then the way I presented is just another option with the added bonus that the switch has a neutral.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here