Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying To ID This Transformer

Posted by benesesso (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 16:21

Found this new xformer in a box--unknown source. Too many wires for my simple brain.

I need 24v from 120v.

Measured the resistance between the two "primary?" black/white wires, 6.3 ohms. That's like ~20amps at 120v!

Hopefully the input resistance/impedance goes way up when it's energized.

Google search of the numbers was no help. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying To ID This Transformer

Just remembered, it came from an APS battery backup power supply for a computer. It was fed from a pair of 6v sealed batteries.

OK, 6V (I think the batteries were in parallel) up to 120v. Looks like I'm out of luck here.

o

When energized by AC power, the inductive reactance serves to limit the primary current exactly as higher resistance would do.

o

If this was used for a UPS, then most likely the black & white wires are the Secondary.

The two 3-wire pairs are the Primaries - the same gauge primary/secondary was probably the AC line input (with surge suppression, RFI filtering and relay switching) in normal operation.

The heavier gauge wires were probably from the inverter output and used the transformer to produce the stepped up voltage when in UPS mode.

o

Thanks. Guess I'll have to pop ~$10 for a 24v eBone special.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here