Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

fluorescent strip fixture, help

ionized_gw
12 years ago

Some of you have seen many types of fluorescent fixtures I hope. This just has two naked tubes, no lens, cover or anything else that looks complicated.

It looks like the cover/panel facing the tubes must pry off. There are no visible fasteners on it. At first glance, it looks like edges on the long sides of the cover must snap over the main "box" or "channel" that contain and fasten to all the bits that make it a fluorescent fixture. The indication contrary to that idea is that I can easily slide it back and forth a short distance until the ends of the sheet metal hit the tombstones so it is not gripping the box very tightly or there would be more resistance.

I pry on it but nothing seems to happen. It seems like if I pry any harder, I will start to bend the cover. Is there a trick to getting some of them off? I want to get to the ballast.

Comments (4)

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

Does the cover fit over the main housing? Squeeze in the sides of the main housing to release the locking tabs. Start at one end and work toward the other end. Squeeze with one hand while lifting the cover with the other.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I will give it a try tonight or this weekend depending on how the day goes. You are expecting several hidden tabs along the length of the appliance?

I am probably going to have to push in on one side at a time because I am not sure I can span with my hand across the front of the "box".

I did a count on my fluorescent tube fixtures earlier this week:

17, 8' instant start with two tubes installed plus two spares
    1, 8' instant start with one tube
    1, 8' instant start with four tubes

4, 4' rapid start with two tubes
    1 rapid start with 4 tubes
    1 rapid start with one tube

1, 3' rapid start

A12-15 (I forgot to count) hard-wired, smaller diameter T? with separate starters under the kitchen cabinets.

Good grief!

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

Working one side at a time should be fine.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, it was easy. There are two visible "blisters" in the side of the box above the two tabs. I feel dumb.