Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w0lley32

Good book about new CEC requirements

w0lley32
12 years ago

Hi! I live in Canada and I will be redoing my basement probably this summer. I'm comfortable enough to do my own wiring, but I learned in part with a book called "Wiring installation and maintenance" that was published in 1978, so it is outdated.

My search for an updated version of it was of no luck to me, so could someone please recommend me a good book that would discuss the current code requirements like bathroom and laundry room circuits, do I consider my wet bar outlets like ordinary kitchen countertop outlets, etc. If not, where could I get a copy of the actual CEC? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• nocando
    12 years ago

An exhaustive Google search for the CEC and related âÂÂDIYâ booklets reveals that no free official documents are available on-line from legitimate sources.

For free literature, your local library is probably the best source. Possibly you can gain access to a college or tech school library.

• w0lley32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply; I came to the same conclusion as you concerning on-line availability. The problem is that I live in a small town where you can call it the suburbs or you can call it the country and you'll be both right, so the local library is not an option. I could go to the neighboring town where they have a proper library, but they'll charge me $65 just to consult any book, so I figured at that price I might as well buy the book and be done with it. Where could I buy a copy? My on-line search didn't show any reputable source that seems to sell it. Thanks.

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

How about the CSA site? $173

Here is a link that might be useful: CSA

• nocando
    12 years ago

Well Amazon has a used 21st edition for US $110.00 + US $35.00 shipping. Also I believe the Canadian postal system adds another obscene shipping fee. That brings the used price right up to or above the price of a new CSA edition; CAD $175.00.

Apparently there is a magazine version (magazinexpress.com) published by CSA International for US $112.00 but can only be shipped to a US address.

So it seems your only choice is a direct purchase from the CSA. Clink on link below:

I removed my link as greg has already posted it

• nocando
    12 years ago

An E-bay vender has the CSA Publication - "Wiring for Canadian homes and Cottages", priced at US $19.99.

He has six new copies but does not provide the CEC version it corresponds to. You can contact the vender by means provided in his ad.

Here is a link that might be useful: E-bay

• an_ian
    12 years ago

I use the PS Knight book, 'Electrical Code Simplified.' My father is a retired electrician and he recommended it to me. It really is very good. The author is a former electrical inspector and is very clear, both with code requirements and typical house wiring descriptions. It's about $20 at Home Depot and can be ordered directly online. I've put the link below. There may be a version particular to your province so make sure before you order it. Be aware that the code is being updated this year and there are more changes than usual, but I am not aware of what is changing for residential wiring, so I can't say how current the old book will be.

Here is a link that might be useful: PS Knight - Electrical Code Simplified

• w0lley32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your replies. Proof that you can't trust everything that's on the Net, turns out the description for "wiring for canadian homes and cottages" is for another book. The book shown is from 2004 and based on the 2002 code. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the actual CEC book.