Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
15 amp recptacle on 20 amp wiring?

Posted by zevjoe (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 15:38

My new dishwasher (120v 15amp) is a plug in model, so I've converted my direct wire 20 amp line (three wires: black, white and red) into an outlet by attaching a 15 amp receptacle to it. I've been told that as long as you use a lower amp receptacle, then it is "fine". My question is if anyone has any experience with this type of wiring and could comment on this advice and safety aspects.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 15 amp recptacle on 20 amp wiring?

As long as there is more than one receptacle on the circuit using 15 amp devices is allowed.

o

Hopefully there's a bare or green wire there as well. You can strip or paint green one of the other wires if not, but you need to take special attention to how that wire is terminated on the other end as well.

o

Its not legal if its just a single outlet not duplex receptacle you used ( one place to plug into vs. two places to plug into). Also watch out if your newer dishwasher has a deeper comparment than your older one making it very hard to unplug the cord (if the outlet is located directly behind the dishwasher) and should no longer be considered a disconnect. This does not apply though if you already have a disconnecting means within sight of the dishwasher usually found as a switch above the countertop or also could be located in the sink cabinet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here