Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
running electric to a Mobile mini unit

Posted by acokpi (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 15:33

I have a 60amp box running to an out building from the house. getting a temorary mobile mini unit that has a 100amp panel box. Can I run an appropriate gauge wire from the 60 amp to the 100 amp sub panel? I only need 40 amps in the mobile unit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: running electric to a Mobile mini unit

You can put subpanels that are larger in capacity than your feeder is. That's fine. You must put a breaker in the feeding panel sized to the ampacity of the feeder wires, so if 40A is what you need you can use #8 copper in the feeder and a 40A breaker. If you actually have 40A of load (as opposed to needing a 40A feeder), you may wish to size things up to #6 and a 60A feeder breaker.

I don't know what a "mobile mini unit" is, but I suspect you may need to install a grounding system for it as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here