Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveho_gw

Looking for opinions on manual transfer switches

daveho
13 years ago

After this week's ice storm, I decided to bite the bullet & buy a generator. No heat plus the worry of what happens if the sump pumps needs to run & doesn't will do that. The model I'm getting is the Honeywell HW7500E.

Based on what I've come across on the web, I've narrowed my transfer switch choices down to the Gentran 301060 or the Reliance q310c. I'm leaning toward the Gentran simply because I like the way power gets from the main to the transfer switch. 1 DP 60A breaker vs 10 individual breakers means less mess in the main. Both are prewired, but I will likely be discarding the included wiring & running PVC conduit for the wiring since there really isn't an optimal spot close to the main which the included flex conduit will reach.

Does anyone have an opinion on these two switches? Since I'll be doing my own wiring between the main & transfer switch, is there another switch I should be looking at? My requirements are that it has a minimum of 10 circuits & has replaceable breakers. These switches can use Siemens QP breakers which are what my main panel uses. Both are available for right around $360. I would consider going up to $500 if necessary.

Thanks.

-Dave

Comments (2)