Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inventingjoy

Electric ink &/or Glue: Replace wiring in my house?

InventingJoy
10 years ago

I'm doing an electrical upgrade. What a stupid idea! Trying to deal with the drunk diva's of the trade., who I would like to fire before going further. Anyway, I'm reading about electric ink & electric glue. THis is ink or glue that carries a current. Is there a reason that I can't run my wiring throughout my house by using this ink? Pls explain. This is urgent bcs I need to make an urgent decision. To fire or not to put up with the drunk divas. If I use the ink or glue instead of actual wire, how do I attach the switches, the recepticals & make the attachments in the panels. Most important, I guess, how do I pass the city of San Diego Code. Thx for your help. Puppy love from inventingJoy & Furry Folk.

Comments (11)

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Troll?

• InventingJoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not a troll. his is a serious question. ` ThinkGeek :: Electric Paint Pen with Conductive Ink www.thinkgeek.com InventingJoy

• joefixit2
    10 years ago

The product specs say it is good up to 12 volts DC, won't work for house wiring. It looks like more of a novelty item than anything, might work for home made circuit boards.

• btharmy
    10 years ago

No. No. No. There is no easy, cheap, quick way out. That is why (despite what some might say about it these days) electricians are skilled tradesmen and deserve to be treated and compensated as such. I hope the "drunk divas" you speak of are not contractors you hired off of Craigslist. If so, check for a license and insurance. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you choose to skimp up front, you may end up paying more in the long run. References are your friend. Ask around, friends, family, workmates. If they are happy with a contractor, most are happy to pass on a phone number.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    10 years ago

Also, if a contractor ever offers to "save you some money" by not pulling permits and getting his work inspected, run -- do not walk -- away. Permit fees are a cheap price to pay for having somebody knowledgeable check the contractors work.

I was changing some light switches and fixtures and installing fan controllers at my parents' new house this weekend. I found some scary-bad amateur wiring. Inspections are a good thing.

• countryboymo
    10 years ago

Maybe get conductive tatoo ink. Solar panel on balding head or remote battery pack for hearing aids.. solar panel and pocket phone charger?

• InventingJoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Countryboymo, I love the way you think. Your my kind of guy thinking outside the box. Just bcs its never been done doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Right? Can you tell me more? Any suggestions abt attaching to switches & passing code? btw I have permit & have had a preliminary inspection from the head electrician inspector. Very nice guy who said he will personally do my inspection. He gave me a lot of info, like about how to pass the light fixture that I created. I should post a photo of it bcs I think you would like it Countryboy. I'll check out your site.
    I parted company with the last diva after he treated me to a 3/4 hr drunken phone lecture on all the details of the job. I'm doing the job myself with the help of my excellent handyman. We will go as far as we can, leaving the difficult things to the end. Then hire someone for the tough stuff. But if it can be one with one of those inks or glue, I will go down to the city & attempt to get them on board. It wont be easy but they have approved straw bale houses so maybe.......
    Thanks again for your response. Puppy love from InventingJoy & Furry folk

• countryboymo
    10 years ago

I am sorry but there is no ink product capable of carrying the load that would make any sense cost wise and also no way it would pass any sort of real inspection now or later.

• User
    10 years ago

Whatcha bet, CO or WA state resident enjoying the new legal recreational substance?

• btharmy
    10 years ago

Is this thread some kind of joke?

"We will go as far as we can, leaving the difficult things to the end. Then hire someone for the tough stuff."

You couldn't pay me enough to come in to "finish" a job that was done by a "handyman" and homeowner that obviously has no practical, working knowledge of electricity or electrical systems. I am completely amazed.

• jimu57
    10 years ago

joke or not, use wire.