Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

ELV dimmer, switch, and receptacle in 4' box?

angie_diy
12 years ago

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to get all the stuff I want/need into a 4x4 box. (I understand wire fill will need to be considered, too, but first let's talk hardware. The box is 2-1/8 deep and has a 1" mud ring, so volume is promising.)

This is for a kitchen remodel. I had been planning two light switches (oversink lamps and direct-wire undercabinet lights) in a single-gang dual switch, and a 20 A duplex receptacle for one of the small appliance branches. However, I wound up buying dimmable LED undercabinet lights (Philips eW Profile). The problem is that these require an ELV dimmer.

So, I am trying to figure out a way to get an ELV dimmer, a single-pole switch, and a 20 A, tamper-resistant receptacle in a two-gang space. Lutron and Legrand make dual dimmers, but not ELV. I haven't found anything from anyone else yet.

Another option would be to use one gang for a stand-alone ELV, and a one-gang combo of switch+receptacle. I can't seem to find one with a 20 A tamper-resistant receptacle, however.

Any ideas?

Another possibility is to fish to a cut-in box, dedicated to one of the devices (probably a single-pole switch for the undimmed lights). The power and supply cables for those lights already come to the original box; therefore, I would propose just going out to the new box and back with a 14/2 NM, making the junction in the original box. Does that sound legal/feasible?

Thanks!

A_D

Comments (4)