Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walletless

Connecting a fluorescent wrap light to power outlet

walletless
10 years ago

I bought one of these fluorescent wrap lights from Lowe's:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=3181895&partNumber=163697-337-WP232RLU

However, the ballast in these come with bare black/white wires - no plugs. I need to connect these to a power outlet.. what do I need to do this?

Will a 14/2 NM or Romex and 2-wire (non-grounded) plug be enough?

Comments (23)

• jreagan_gw
    10 years ago

There is no ground wire on the screw where the ballast attaches to the metal?

Using Romex as an appliance cord isn't what I'd do. You can get fixture cord and a grounded plug. Heck, if you have a dead laptop charger, you might be able to salvage a cord from it. How long do you need it to be?

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Apparently, this luminaire is designed for direct connection to wires in a junction box. If you want to convert it to a cord/plug arrangement, you need a proper lamp or appliance cord and plug. You need to have a strain relief around the cord where it enters the luminaire. You should not use electrical cable of the types you mention for cord.

• walletless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No ground wire.. the ballast instruction just says that if the romex has a green or golden wire, then attach it to the green screw on the fluorescent housing.

It only needs to be a 3ft or so.. but I have 3 of these.. so even if I salvaged an old laptop cord, I will need 3 of them :-(

• walletless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would something like this work then?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-16-3-SPT-3-Appliance-Cord-Gray-HD-588-547/100672804

The problem is that 6 ft is too long.. I need to make something so the cord is not hanging out...

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

That's way to heavy for your load. This is more like it.
    http://www.kandooinc.com/Ise-In-Sink-Erator-09008-Disposer-Power-Cord-3Ft_p_517146.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Strain-Relief for damp location

• jreagan_gw
    10 years ago

Places like Newegg have PC power cords for them for cheap (and this one is free shipping). You'll still need a strain relief at the KO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Powercord

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Good idea, OP could spend much less than my link. It does have a ring-lug which he may want as well as a strain relief and wire nuts. If he has all that and a crimper lying around any scavenged cord could work.

• walletless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great, thanks!! So just cut & splice the PC wire, use a wire nut to connect the wires? Never used a strain relief, but I guess I can youtube that part and check..

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Lots of cords here, including one with a neat coiled section

Edit: Lots of strain reliefs too.

Here is a link that might be useful: cords

This post was edited by ionized on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 17:02

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Sure, some of us have all manner of old PC/Printer/Monitor cords lying around. Ask a nerdy neighbor if you don't have any.

• jreagan_gw
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, All Electronics is a great place too. I get their catalogs.

• walletless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What would be the minimum gauge of PC cord I need to wire something like this? 18awg? Or 14...?
    The fluorescent wrap will hold two T8 daylight bulbs in them..

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

That would be a fraction of an amp given that the ballasts are not something really stupid. (It should be on the ballast label.) It should say on the ballast. I am totally unaware of any regulations for cordage, but even smaller than 18 should be adequate given that 18 is good for greater than 2 amps.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

The manufacturer intended that the ballast be firmly attached to a grounded "plane" -- a metal surface of some area. And the ballast would be grounded by the firm contact. So if using the ballast in other situations,be sure that some part of the base of the ballast is connected to ground. Remove some paint if necessary. This is essential for proper operation.

• btharmy
    10 years ago

Where are these fixtures being installed?

• walletless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I got an old power cable from a laptop charger, and used a plier to cut out the NM covering. However, both the bare metal cable are golden color. How can I distinguish the live and neutral writes?

• walletless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I got an old power cable from a laptop charger, and used a plier to cut out the NM covering. However, both the bare metal cable are golden color. How can I distinguish the live and neutral writes?

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

This project is beyond your present capabilities. The cord pictured has no ground. In the electrical trade, NM refers to a type of cable used for permanent wiring. NM is not a flexible cord.

• jreagan_gw
    10 years ago

As bus_driver said earlier, you really want to ground the lamp and ballast so that means a 3-prong cord. Will it work without a ground? Perhaps. Might humm, might burn out the ballast sooner than expected.

For the cord you have, one of the prongs is wider, yes? That would be the ground side. Do you have a VOM or something to test continuity?

And that cord seems a touch small for my taste.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Ungrounded luminaires tend to fail to strike the lamp resulting in darkness where you intended light.

• walletless
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I ordered 3-prong cable from Monoprice.
    The one linked from Newegg above would not work since it was rated for 13 amps, whereas the fluorescent light suggests minimum 15 amps rating.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

What about the light suggests 15 amps? Two F32 T8 lamps and ballast should be a fraction of an amp at 120V.

• btharmy
    10 years ago

Good grief, just buy a 3 wire tool/appliance cord from the local home center and install it already. Make sure to ground the fixture.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!