Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baseboard heater wiring

Posted by kygirl_2007 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 14:25

i have purchased a baseboard heater for extra warmth in the basement. the thermostat is model fta2a double pole fahrenheat. it has 2 red wires and 2 black wires. heater has 2 wires and a ground. my wiring is 12-2. the instructions with the thermostat are very poor.no instructions included with heater. i could use any advise regarding the proper wiring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baseboard heater wiring

What do you mean you mean your wiring is 12/2? WHAT wiring?
Is there a circuit existing? Are you running new?

o

Your incoming 12/2 has both black and white wires hot. The thermostat may have labeling on the back showing Line( or L1 and L2) and Load. Line or L1 and L2 is where the 12/2 connects to the thermostat, Load is where the thermostat connects to the heater. Connect the black or white incoming to the red or black that says Line. It doesn't matter if you mix up the black/white incoming with the two incoming wires of the thermostat (usually labelled Line or L1 and L2). of the thermostat. Then the two outgoing wires from the thermostat connect to the 2 wires of the heater. Again, mixing colors doesn't matter. Ground wires are all connected together and to the thermostat's box.

o

i have it connected, and it is working. thanks for suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here