Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reilly000

Installing grounded 3-2 prong adapters

Reilly000
11 years ago

I am a student renting a room in an old house, which only has 2 pronged electrical outlets. I purchased a couple of 3 to 2 prong adapters so that I can use my computer and other things that have 3 prongs.

I have a question about the grounding loop on the adapter. Does it matter whether I insert the adapter into the top or bottom set of prong openings on the outlet? I ask because the adapter fits into both the top and the bottom set. But in order to use the bottom set and still utilize the grounding loop, the 3 prong openings on the adapter seem to be "upside down." The 2 prongs of the adapter do not seem to be polarized, which is why I can plug it in in this way (?) (I got it at Home Depot).

For what I am trying to do, I need to plug this adapter into the bottom prong opening on the electrical plate, and leave the top one free.

I would appreciate any help on this. I am only renting this room from an owner who has not maintained her home, and so my options are limited. Thanks so much. Reilly

This post was edited by Reilly000 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 15:05

Comments (5)