Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnetic Switch for Linen Closet with Inset Doors

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 14:03

We are looking for a normally closed magnetic switch, for LED lighting in our new linen closet. When the doors are open, the LED light will turn on. I would like help selecting a magnetic switch.

Here's what we've purchased so far:

12 Feet / Armacost RibbonFlex Pro LED tape lighting (requires 12V DC power supply)

Armacost 30 Watt 12V LV LED Lighting Power Supply

Armacost 2 in 1 LED Dimmer. 'For use only with white LV 12V DC LED lighting'

The linen closet has inset doors. Will something like this work or can you recommend another magnetic switch we can use?

Thanks very much in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnetic Switch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnetic Switch for Linen Closet with Inset Doors

I would tend to doubt it. This is an alarm switch typically rated for no more than 250 miliamps. You're asking it to switch in excess of two amps if you put it on the 12V side, and it's not really a good idea with it's bare terminals to use it on the 120V side.

o

You may be able to use a spring loaded switch - the kind that are used for refrigerator lights.

o

ronnatalie-thank you. Do you have a recommendation for what kind of switch to use?

Geoffrey_B -thanks as well. Perhaps something like the linked? My preference would be in white if you can suggest any sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring loaded switch

o

They make cabinet door switches specifically for this.

Cabinet Pressure Switch

This is already wired with a 120v plug and receptacle on it.

Other possibilities: http://www.rockler.com/low-profile-micro-switch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here