Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding circuit to existing conduit

Posted by globe199 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 12:57

I've got a conduit used for a 50A hot tub circuit. The conduit runs along the outside of the house to a small subpanel with a GFCI, then connects to the tub.

At some point I want to rewire my garage. I'm wondering if there's room in the conduit to run a 60A circuit to the garage. I would use the existing conduit up to the hot tub subpanel, then run a new conduit out the other side of the sub to the garage.

Just guessing, but the conduit is maybe 1-inch. Anyone have an opinion on whether there's enough room? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding circuit to existing conduit

Well it depends on how many wires and what size and what the conduit is made out of.

There are three problems.

1. For THWN @50 amp they probably used #8 wires, you can technically fit 9 in there, but
2. For 60 amp you need #6. Further with that many current carrying conductors in the same conduit you need to derate. Either way it won't fit (and you #8 may not be sized big enough).
3. If there are 3-4 #8 wires in 1" conduit, it's going to be a bear to pull more in there anyhow.
4. (ok I lied, four things), if by "subpanel" you mean one of those spapack things (essentially a disconnect with a GFCI built into it) there's not a whole lot of room inside it for pulling through extra conductors.

On the other hand, unless you need it for protection of physical damage, you may not even need conduit. It's required for the pool/spa, but you can possibly get away with suitably sized cable.

o
RE: Adding circuit to existing conduit

That's what I figured. Probably going to need a whole new conduit. OK, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here