Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sub Panel Ground

Posted by kellett (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 12:54

I recently submitted a question (other forum) regarding sub panel neutral and ground configuration, unfortunately very little was gained from posted responses for no two answers were the same. With this being the case I would like to clarify my question by adding detail. I am adding an addition to my home that will serve as a full functioning studio my intent is to add a 4 circuit sub panel near my existing main panel. The electrical details of this project are as follows:
� 30 amp dual pole breaker (main panel breaker )
� 6-3G (main to sub conductor)
� 125 amp 4 circuit Sub Panel (non bonded neutral/ground)
� 2-15 amp single circuit breakers
� 2-20 amp single circuit breakers

In addition studio power will supply the following
� Mini fridge, microwave oven, audio/video entertainment system, computer, various equipment chargers and lights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sub Panel Ground

So what's your question? At least on my end, there's some encoding issues but it looks like you might be running 6 gauge cable. That's overkill for a 30 amp circuit, 10 gauge would be sufficient. Remember you need two hots, neutral, and ground and you will need a separate neutral and ground bars.

o

Hey Mike I appreciate your help with this matter and yes I was advised to purchase 6-3 cable which I later found was overkill. So to clarify new sub will be mounted a at or near my existing main panel requiring no additional grounding rods? sub panel neutral and ground wires will not require bonding?

o

Check the FAQ for an extensive description (link below).

In your case, no new ground rods since it is the same building.
Subpanels require separate neutral and ground bars that are isolated from each other.

Here is a link that might be useful: subpanel FAQ

o

If you only need 4 circuits, I would still put at least a 12 cir panel. It doesn't cost much more. You will have room to grow. If you are going to spend the time and money anyway, why put yourself in the same position you are in now, with no spare circuits?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here