Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
box extensions

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 12:30

I have a room with plaster walls that were re-coated with plaster. The boxes are, predictably, recessed. Although they probably meet requirements, I'd like to bring the switch and outlets flush. I have a mixture of old, stud-mounted metal boxes and add-on plastic ones.

I tried a couple of washers behind the yoke on one plastic box, but it did not seem to help. Today I poked around a bit and found this:

http://www.aifittings.com/products/spec-sheets/BE1.pdf

Is this the best way? Are there alternatives? I don't understand how this will work with the differently-dimensioned boxes.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: box extensions

Those are pretty much what you need. They even have them at the home centers. Of coure, they have to match the box size (they are slightl narrower than the box they fit into.

o

Thanks, I'll poke around in the store on the way home tonight.

o

Ironically enough, I just installed one of these very same extenders this morning on a receptacle with a single gang steel mud ring that was probably close to 1/2" back in the 5/8" dry wall - worked great.

o

Thanks for the review.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here