Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
took down ceiling fan to paint,can't remember how wires conn

Posted by cateyanne (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 11:48

I recently took my ceiling fan down from the kitchen to paint and when i went to reattach it, I've forgotten what wires attach to what. I thought it would be easy to remember so i didn't write it down, duh! It is a fan and light fixture. From the ceiling it has a black, and a red wire and a white wire, which seems to have another wire wrapped with it that has no colored covering. I think i remembered the white and red wrapped together, but now I'm not so sure.And the fan has a white, a blue and a black wire coming out of it. The blue and black were hooked together, so when I removed them I twisted them together on their ends to remind myself. There was also a green wire attached to the fan at one end, and the metal box at the other end, which I detached from the fan and left attached at the one end to the metal box the fan hooks to. Now of course I can't remember where the green wire attached to the fan. It is an older fan that turns on at the switch plate on the wall. It has no remote, just manual fan and light pulls. I was going to try to attach it with partial memory but don't want to make an electrical mistake. Can anybody please help me figure this out?
Thanks
Catey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: took down ceiling fan to paint,can't remember how wires conn

My first comment is: WHY do so many people do this???

How was it switched? One or two switches?

o

Thanks for the comment, but I'm already saying that to myself.
There is one switch on the wall. It turns on the fan. IF I want to turn the fan off and leave the light on, I can do it at the fan only, with the pull chain. Same goes for the light if I want only fan. All turns off at the single switch at the wall. My big problem is the green wire. What could it have been attached to on the fan? if it was at all. Thanks

o

The green wire is the safety ground. It hooks to a green wire from the fan. If no green fan wire present then it fastens to the metal chassis/frame of the fan.

It's only purpose is to return the electricity to the circuit breaker and trip it in case of a fault that puts the juice on a part of the fan that you could normally touch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here