Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
luminaire disconnect

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 11:15

Since I first saw these, I have thought that they are probably only approved for use in a luminaire where conductors or similar environment like a junction box where wires may be joined with wire nuts or similar methods. Recently, I saw a connector like this, in a factory-packaged LED retrofit for can light lamp retrofit. It is between the adaptor for the Edison Socket and the lamp leads which puts it in the cavity where the incandescent lamp used to be. That is not exactly an area where one finds wire splices as part of the original intent for the luminaire.

Can anyone tell me where they are approved to be used? I suppose use in a retrofit kit falls under UL and not NEC so the manufacturer can take an OTC device, use it differently and apply for approval as part of a device like this, but I wonder if there is more of a range of use for the connecter than I thought.

FYI, I found this interesting product for conduit just now when surfing around a little:

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=metal-flex-enclosure

Here is a link that might be useful: luminaire disco

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: luminaire disconnect

I've used them in assembling light fixtures, they came with the 'some assembly required' kits. I would be sure to take their stated amperage limitations into consideration before using them elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here