Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_burrows_gw

Rewiring a Bench Grinder

Dave_Burrows
11 years ago

Hello,

In preparation to paint my bench grinder, I made an image of the electrical wiring because I figured I might not remember how it was wired. Shortly after that, I lost my MB, and replacing it means replacing some other pricey components as well. So, the deal is that for now, I can't access that image, and as I suspected, I don't remember what went where. This image is of the wiring as it has been since I took the switch, and power cord out. Could someone please tell me how this should go back together?

Thanks for your time.

Peace,

Dave

Comments (9)

• randy427
    11 years ago

Who manufactured the grinder? Can you contact them or find some info on the web?

Apparently, the connections are as follows:
    - A & B to the switch, it doesn't matter which blade for which.
    - D to F
    - E to G (D and E are interchangable)
    Now the fun part:
    C to either E & G (my first choice) or to D & F. If one way doesn't seem to work immediately, try the other way. A couple of seconds with the wrong connection here shouldn't cause any damage.

• Dave_Burrows
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Super! Thanks, Randy;

She runs now. C actually went with D, & F. When connected to E, & G, it ran, but the wrong direction, and very slowly. Everything else was exactly right.

This grinder is a Chinese made "King" 6" 3/4 HP Bench Grinder, model #0189-0..

I really appreciate your having taken the time to respond.

Peace,

Dave

• btharmy
    11 years ago

You painted your bench grinder? Even removing the wiring to do so? You must REALLY like your bench grinder, more than me anyway. Sounds like my father. He is retired now and can always find a reason to be fiddling with something in the garage (usually when my mother is at home), even If there isn't really a reason at all.

• Dave_Burrows
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like my grinder. It drowns out many other sounds, and the hypnotic sparks look groovy. I'm also retired. I bet your father is a cool dude. It's new, came in flat primer gray. I used a candy apple red auto lacquer. Sweet.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

BTW: from the picture, you might want to remove that ground screw and wire and then scrape away the paint underneath. Then reattach.

• Dana Hughes
    7 years ago

I have a three quarter horse power 1 phase bench grinder. There are 4 wires coming from the bottom two blue two grey the capacitor is square with two black wires out. How do I put it all back together without the on off switch?

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

If you don't want to use the switch just connect the two wires together that go to the switch. Or, just leave the switch turned on if you don't need it. That way you haven't modified the wiring any.

• Elly Belly
    last year

What if it has a light were then two wires g

• kudzu9
    last year

I hope Dana hasn't been waiting 6 years for that insight... ;-)