Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Terminating one hot from a MWBC

Posted by civ_IV_fan (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 9:47

My main electrical panel is full.

I found one breaker that controlled seemingly nothing.

Turns out it was one of the two hots in a multi-wire branch circuit -- it was the red wire. I located the red wire capped and unused in a utility room ceiling. The rest of the wire (black, white, green) is in use. Basically a 12/3 wire goes from the panel--with the red wire on one breaker and the black on a second breaker--to a junction box in the utility room -- at the junction box, the red wire is capped and the black, white, and ground move on to feed an upstairs bedroom.

Basically I want to abandon the red wire only. I see no future use for it and I want to free up that space in my circuit panel.

What I'm wondering is if I can cap the extra red wire in the main circuit panel or if I need to draw it out of the top of the circuit panel. The rest of the 12/3 wire is still in use.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Terminating one hot from a MWBC

If space is needed in the panel, the red conductor can be disconnected and single pole breaker installed for the black only. Depending on the code in your area, the new breaker may be required to be AFCI.
I strongly urge that the red not be cut off or removed as it might be useful in the future. Tape the end to prevent contact with live power and tuck it back out of the way.

o
RE: Terminating one hot from a MWBC

bus_driver:

thanks! I was thinking maybe there was some kind of code issue with having abandoned wires in the electrical box. I have room to tape, cap and tuck it out of the away. I will do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here