Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forgot to take a picture of old wiring

Posted by bayflyer (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 9:26

I know this is probably an easy fix but I do need help. I am remodeling a room which involved taking down a wall.
In that wall were two single pole switches getting power from an outlet on an adjacent wall which is still the case in the new setup.
Within the new 2 gang box along with the switches is 14-2 with ground and a 14-3 with ground cable which goes to the first ceiling light
where it terminates and 14-2 with ground continues to the second light operated by switch 2.

Add'l info: the wiring at the first light is as follows. the 2 blacks are wire nutted. the 2 whites have a pigtail which goes to the fixture and
the red goes to the fixture. the black and white go to fixture #2.

Ok, finally here's the question. How do i hook up the switches? If I had only taken a photo I would be fine but of course i did not.

Thanks for reading,

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forgot to take a picture of old wiring

I'm a handyman, not an electrician, so take this with a couple grains of salt.

Basically, 14-2 has to supply power (black wire) to both switches, with the other side of the switch getting connected to red (switch #1), and black (switch #2). The neutrals (white) are twisted together with lineman pliers (several revolutions), wire-nutted, and tucked in the double box. Twist the grounds together (lineman pliers) and ground the switches.

I'm probably missing some details, but that's the general gist of it. Await confirmation from a reliable second-opinion before you proceed.

This post was edited by homebound on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:45

o

Thanks for the reply. I think you a correct but i think there needs to be some pigtailed hot wires.
Hopefully someone that has encountered this will help out.

thanks

o

problem has been resolved. Thanks homebound for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here