Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under Cabinet Lighting - Opposite Walls - One Dimmer Switch

Posted by kathy_wa (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 9:04

Doing some hard-wired under cabinet LED lighting, pretty straightforward except for one issue. I've got a short run of kitchen cabinets on an opposite wall that I'd like to also be controlled by the same ELV dimmer switch. I think it can be done this way:

Dimmer Switch -> 14AWG in wall to Cabinet Junction Box - > 1st run of Under Cabinet Lighting (~20' linear cabinets) ->Cabinet Junction Box ->14AWG in wall over to opposite wall ->Cabinet Junction Box -> 2nd run of Under Cabinet Lighting (~2').

I was planning on using the Phillips eW Profile lighting and it seems they even offer a handy junction box to do this with:
http://www.colorkinetics.com/support/userguides/eW_Profile_PC_Switched_Junction_Box_Install.pdf.

It says it can do up to 50' continuous run and apparently the transformer is built-in.

Hopefully some kind person can give me some advice. Thanks :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Phillips eW Profile LED

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under Cabinet Lighting - Opposite Walls - One Dimmer Switch

Sure, it looks like it should work. You could also run two 14-2 runs from the dimmer to each section of lighting.

o

Awesome, thanks! Might actually be easier to just do the second run to the lighting on the opposite wall, thanks for the suggestion. :)

o

The junction box you linked has a switch in it. You don't need a switch if you have a wall switch. They do show links at both ends so you should be feed through to the other set.
Both sets will be controlled by the same switch however.

o

Yikes! thanks for pointing that out Joed - that is the wrong box. The installation instructions show the right one (altho I don't see any reason not to just use a regular outlet box with a plate).

o

" The installation instructions show the right one (altho I don't see any reason not to just use a regular outlet box with a plate)."

If you do not want blank plates scattered around for junction boxes you can also use the kitchen counter receptacle boxes a junction boxes fro wiring the under cabinet lighting.

Watch carefully for box fill, and you might even have to use 4 inch square boxes and a plaster ring for some of the counter receptacles to get a large enough box.

Since the runs to the under cabinet lights are all 120 V, all the regular NEC rules apply, but having different circuits share a junction box is allowed.

o

Thanks for the tip, brickeyee about the shared junction box.

In this case, I plan to "hide" the junction boxes inside the upper cabinets. Just have to get that cut just right in the cabinet :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here