Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rough-in for outside lights & receptacles ?

Posted by lakesurfer (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 8:57

I'm wiring a new construction add-on and was wondering the proper way to wire for the outside lights & receptacles.

The outside is currently sheeted with plywood and house wrapped and will be eventually vinyl-sided.

So do I just run a wire to those locations without any boxes or do I place metal or blue boxes inset into the plywood from the outside ?

Any help is appreciated,
Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rough-in for outside lights & receptacles ?

The code doesn't address "rough in" just the finished product. What is required for rough in is entirely dependent on the local jurisdiction.

My predisposition based on the two jurisdictions I'm familiar with is to put the boxes that I'll eventually use in at the proper positioning for the final installation. This will almost probably NOT be "flush with the sheathing" but protrude out so they meet the legal offset requirements which in this case I believe would require it to be even with or protruding from the finished surface.

o

Thanks Ronnatalie,

Do the boxes have to be metal in these wet locations or can they be the blue boxes ? Also, do I use the octagonal boxes for the light fixtures ?

o

I just wired my almost new construction house and just passed rough in inspection in NY.

what we did was run a wire through a hole in the sheathing for outlets. the siders got the plates that electrical outlets and hose bibs go in, they pulled the wires through. we passed inspection with that. what you do after that is put a surface mount plastic box that fits in that recess and the required outlet cover.

hanging lights we mounted metal octagon boxes.

o

As far as the NEC is concerned they just need to be approved for the location. It all depends where the receptacles and the lighting boxes are located. There are specific requirements to the boxes and to the covers for this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here