Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement capacitor for a motor

Posted by kudzu9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 1:37

My band saw has a 5 hp motor that runs on 220V. It recently had trouble starting up and I determined that the capacitor that is mounted externally on it was bad (it was cracked and had a hard, foam-like material that was protruding from the crack). The plate on the motor calls for a 40 microfarad capacitor, but I'm having trouble finding one with precisely that spec. I can find ones that are rated at 45-50 microfarads and 33-37 microfarads, but not one whose range covers 40. I've been given conflicting advice: 1) it's ok to go with a slightly higher capacitance, but going lower than the spec could cause problems, and 2) it's ok to go with a slightly lower capacitance, but one that's above spec will possibly damage the motor. Which is it?

While I continue to search for the right capacitor, I'd like to hear from folks who can clarify the issues and potential problems when using a capacitor whose spec doesn't quite match the name plate rating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement capacitor for a motor

Slightly higher is fine, and it will not damage eh motor.

All the capacitor is doing is providing some phase shift so the start winding can develop torque to start the motor (it actually creates a sec ond phase to allow starting torque).

Larger value capacitors cost more, so manufacturers put in the lowest value they can.

You also need to watch the voltage rating.

The capacitor must withstand the maximum line voltage (120 V times sqrt(2)+ at least 10%) not the nominal RMS value (120 V) and still have margin for long life.

Larger values also may have a larger size.

o

The actual value of electrolytic caps is often less than the marked value. So when in doubt, go to the next largest value. The alternative would be to try to put two caps in parallel, but I don't think the available values are far enough off that you need to go to that amount of trouble.

For a 220V motor I'd try to find a 400V cap.

o

Thanks for the input guys. That all makes sense to me. It looks like the capacitor I can get with the slightly higher capacitance has adequate voltage specs. And the physical size won't be a problem because the capacitor is held on to the outside of the motor housing with adjustable clamps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here