Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wiring a generator for back up power

Posted by deerhunter2010 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 13, 10 at 1:07

is there any outher way to hook up other then using a transfer switch or a lot of drop cords,please tell me how,thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wiring a generator for back up power

Hi,

There are generator interlock kits. You need to get one for your main panel.
Square D makes one.

What it does is to stop you moving the breaker switches into the wrong setting. Note it relies on the main breaker as a cut off between your house and the grid.

The interlock kits are cheaper than transfer switches and some people think they are flimsy. I think there are ok for code though.

Best, Mike.

o
RE: wiring a generator for back up power

Breaker interlock kits are a lot less expensive than a transfer switch. They are fine if you can answer "yes" to these questions.

(1) Is a breaker interlock kit available to fit your panel?

(2) are you convinced that every time the breaker handle is moved to "off", the breaker contacts will actually open?

(3) does your power company and/or local inspector share your view regarding question #2?

(4) Are you sure that your inspector/ power company will allow a non-switched neutral?

Notwithstanding the above, they are a much better alternative than some of the schemes I have seen others use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here