Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaworskipgd_gw

help me fix my screw-up

yaworskipgd
13 years ago

The smart-ass answer to this is that I should have taken a picture of the wiring and I'd be all good, but it's too late for that.

I had to move three light switches and the box to build a new wall in my home to enclose a loft into a bedroom. I have a new box in the new wall with the wires all entering into it. I need to rewire the switches just like they were before but my limited electrical knowledge has me full of doubt.

The three switches control a foyer chandelier, a hallway light, and the bedroom light. The chandelier is a three-way switch; the other two are single switches.

The wires coming into the box are a 14/3 and a 14/2 from below; and two 14/3 and one 14/2 exiting out the top.

I've figured out from this forum that the 14/3 in and the 14/2 out are for the three way switch. I think I've got down how to wire the switch for that.

The problem is wiring the other two single switches, both of which have 14/3 connecting into it. Just how do I do it? That is, how do I connect the red and white and black wires to the switch and to each other and to the 14/2 that is providing the current?

More info, if necessary: the hallway light, I've confirmed, is fed by a 14/3. The red and white are connected to the light; the black is tied in with other blacks in the box. The bedroom light used to be a ceiling fan. I am not sure how the red/white/black connect to the light (but it worked fine before).

Any help is appreciated. I do recall that many white wires were tied in together, I just don't remember if it was all of them. Can't recall if any reds were simply capped. Two blacks were pigtailed to the switches, though I don't recall if they were from the same incoming source.

Comments (2)