Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Article 210.63 and others re attic HACR servicing?

Posted by fixizin (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 0:43

Apologies in advance--recently moved, and can't find my Mullins text (or martini glasses) to save my life. =:O

Anyway, seem to remember that NECs of late require at least one dual 120V recep and one fixed (non pull-chain?) light in proximity to attic-mounted air handler, to facilitate servicing of same.

I'm pretty sure the light needs a cage protecting the bulb, yes/no/links to suitable fixtures?

Acceptable location of light switch in relation to attic hatch? Extra points for night-light switch?

Also thinking the receptacle can't be too close to attic hatch, nor too far away, yes/no/hard numbers?

Does recep have to be GFCI?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Article 210.63 and others re attic HACR servicing?

I don't know of any specific lighting requirement. It might be a local code.

The receptacle is Art.210.63

A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

Swamp coolers are exempted. No GFCI requirement.

o
attic lighting

Attics with equipment are covered by 210.70

(3) Storage or Equipment Spaces. For attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing.

o
RE: Article 210.63 and others re attic HACR servicing?

Thanks... sounds like a lot of latitude there on the light and switch... thought I remembered an illustration in Mullins, with double-ended arrows showing allowable range of distances from attic hatch, etc... obviously it must've been the recep-to-HACR-unit distance.

On my way... w/ FLEX and THWN... and strappage...

PS: that exemption for swamp coolers is kinda humorous... as if the "SwpClrMfrsAssn" has a big lobbying firm, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here