Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
electrical shock

Posted by vest1951 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 0:38

I'm in Michigan and every time I touch my water line in the basement I get a little buzz shock. What is going on ????


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: electrical shock

This is dangerous. Call your electrical utility. They will probably direct you to turn off your main breaker and call an electrician.


 o
RE: electrical shock

Just call an electrician.

The POCO is not likely to do anything until the interior wiring has at least been examined by an electrician.

It could be anything from a problem in your wiring to stray current from the POCO or someone else's defective wiring.

An experienced electrician should be able to isolate a likely source pretty quickly.

Simply turning off your power and seeing if any voltage or current remains would a the first step, or making sure that both sides of your service are at 120 V to neutral (check at any 240 V receptacle).

Keep in mind that turning off you main breaker is going to kill any heating system that requires power.


 o
RE: electrical shock

New carpet?
New shoes?
Happens only in winter?


 o
RE: electrical shock

does it happen every time..
as in you move to touch and it happens? what about if now, you don't move does to still happen?
if both are yes, are to comfy dealing/qualified troubleshooting AC electrical problems? no--CALL SOMEONE!!
yes..dig out your meter and start measuring..
what did you find?

-dkenny


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here