Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_ca

Lights suddenly dim

Lindsey_CA
12 years ago

Hi, my name is Lindsey, and although this is, as far as I can recall, my first post to this forum, I've been on Garden Web since 2004. I have a question now, however, for the electrical experts here.

We've been in this house for 21 years, and bought it new, when it was still in the framing stage. So, I know that nothing has been done to the wiring that might be causing this issue.

Our master bedroom closet is a walk-in, and has four recessed lights in the ceiling, each behind a square of glass. There's a little sticker in each "container" that says that no more than a 60-watt bulb should be used. And, that's what I've always put in.

A week or so ago, my husband bought some GE Reveal compact fluorescent bulbs to put into those light fixtures, because we figured they'd provide a better light for the closet and would be more energy efficient. Each of those new bulbs is supposed to provide light equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent while using only 15 watts of power.

When we first enter the closet and turn on the lights, it's nice and bright. But, within 30 seconds or so, all of a sudden the lights will dim. Hubs and I are both concerned, and we don't want to have to worry about electrical shorts or fires, etc.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, and what, if anything, we can do to keep the lights at the same bright level as when they're first turned on?

Thank you in advance for any info and/or advice!!

Here's a photo of a portion of the closet, where you can see two of the lights:

Comments (3)